Appendix E: Conservation Areas
This Appendix sets out brief descriptions of the Conservation Areas designated within the borough. These are areas that the Council has identified as being of special architectural or historic interest where it is desirable to preserve and enhance the character and appearance. These descriptions are necessarily brief and are given without prejudice to the more comprehensive descriptions and Statements of Character, which are available as separate documents.
Old Bexley, Bexley Village (Designated February 1971. Extended 11th November 1987).
This area is centred on the historic village of Bexley. The main character of the western part is the winding High Street lined by shops and cottages leading to the green and St. John's Church. The area includes several pre-war community and commercial buildings that are in-keeping with its village character. To the south-east of the railway, the character changes to that of a residential village bounded by Green Belt farmland.
Red House Lane, Bexleyheath (Designated 25th July 1973)
This is a small area of remaining rural character amongst the more modern suburbs of Bexleyheath. It includes the historic terrace of Hogs Hole Cottages and the Red House in its walled, spacious grounds.
Iron Mill Lane, Crayford (Designated 20th February 1985).
This hill-top area of Crayford is centred on the Church of St. Paulinus, set in a traditional churchyard. Both the churchyard and part of the northern side of the High Street are characterised by large retaining walls. In the remainder of the area, 19th Century and earlier properties include almshouses and a coaching inn.
The Hollies, Sidcup (Designated 1st May 1985)
This represents the core area of the former Hollies Children's Home, established around 1901 in the spacious grounds surrounding the original Hollies House. The original buildings include the central communal buildings, dominated by a landmark water-tower, surrounded by a garden suburb style group of semi-detached houses. There are also larger dormitory blocks facing the green. New development has been successfully incorporated amongst the old.
Halfway Street, Sidcup (Designated 6th November 1985)
This historic hamlet of cottages lining Halfway Street and Burnt Oak Lane includes some of the oldest houses in the borough. The area includes Holy Trinity Church and the Church Hall which mark the junction of Hurst Road. The well-treed setting of the buildings is enhanced by the parkland entrance to The Glade.
Old Forge Way, Sidcup (Designated 24th February 1988)
An exceptionally fine example of a cottage estate, built in 1936 in the style of 17th/18th Century cottages of the Kent and Sussex Weald. The cottages are mainly clustered around a cul-de-sac with open-plan front gardens. The unity of the estate is reinforced by the continuity of materials and colour scheme.
Parkhurst, Bexley (Designated 18th May 1988)
This Victorian estate represents the first phase of development after the arrival of the railway. Many of the houses are well designed, large, detached buildings which set the scale and character of the area reflected in later development. Many mature trees add greatly to the setting of the buildings.
Brook Street, Northumberland Heath (Designated 19th February 1992)
An unusual and surprisingly unaltered sequence of long terraces of houses dating from 1882 to 1901. The four longer terraces feature decorative brickwork and stone detailing. Sash windows predominate. The older terraced houses step up the hill at the northern entrance to the area. A public house with a distinctive turret forms a focal point at the area's southern limit.
Christ Church, Sidcup (Designated 19th February 1992)
A residential area developed since the 1890's. The earliest buildings are compactly grouped, semi-detached houses and terraced shops in the area's south-eastern corner. The remaining area is characterised by a spacious layout of large houses in a mature landscape of trees. Three churches in the area form important landmarks.
The Green, Sidcup (Designated 19th February 1992)
This area is focused on the parkland around Sidcup Place and Manor House. To the east, St. John's Church and some older cottages form an attractive group merging into a street of harmonious Edwardian villas. To the north-west, Carlton Road comprises large Victorian semi-detached houses of coherent style.
Lesney Park Road, Erith (Designated 19th February 1992)
This area is characterised by large, detached and semi-detached villas built at the turn-of-the-century and enriched by elegant detailing and a mature landscape of trees. A major landmark in the area is Christ Church and its imposing spire. Broad highways with grass verges convey a spacious character to the area.
Longlands Road, Sidcup (Designated 19th February 1992)
This interesting and virtually unaltered 20th Century estate is characterised by semi-detached houses with steep hipped roofs, tiled canopies, graceful porches and bay windows, typical of the inter-war period. Grass verges, street trees and broad plots combine to convey a very spacious character.
North Cray Village, Sidcup (Designated 19th February 1992)
This area includes the surviving buildings of the historic village ranging from small cottages to the majestic Loring Hall. The surrounding farmland and parkland, trees and hedge-lined roads add to the village character.
Oak Road, Slade Green (Designated 19th February 1992)
This is a small estate of railway workers' cottages built in 1900. Most are grouped in terraces of four below hipped roofs, with substantial chimney stacks which add character to the skyline. The large public house on a corner site is an important landmark.
The Oval, Sidcup (Designated 19th February 1992)
The area is based upon an impressive curved parade of shops with flats above facing across a landscaped park. Built in an "Arts and Crafts" style, The Oval represents an outstanding example of inter-war townscape.
Star Hill, Crayford (Designated 19th February 1992)
A well preserved group of small cottages lining steep urban streets forms the essence of this Conservation Area, enhanced on its western fringe by a backdrop of trees. The more open setting of London Road is fronted by a large chapel, a public house, the long shed and terraced houses, providing further variety and historic interest.
Willersley Avenue/Braundton Avenue, Sidcup (Designated 19th February 1992)
Willersley and Braundton Avenues feature some of the larger, better designed inter-war chalet style houses of the borough. Because of the spacing of these broad semi-detached houses, their sweeping tiled roofs are a major element in the spacious streetscene.
Woolwich Road, Belvedere (Designated 19th February 1992)
An area developed from the mid-19th Century around a cross roads, now marked by a long green space and two recreation grounds whose trees add greatly to the character of the area. There are many individually designed buildings exhibiting traditional styles and materials. At the western end, the inter-war houses are arranged in an unusual symmetrical design, about a road junction.
Erith Riverside (Designated 8th November 1995)
This area includes the last remaining undeveloped section of Erith High Street with a number of prominent buildings of local architectural and historic interest. The curving High Street leads down to the riverside area where the Riverside Gardens provide a fine, spacious setting to more substantial 20th Century buildings facing the River Thames, including the Riverside Swimming Centre. Trees and landscaped gardens give this area a special character.
Crossness, Belvedere (Designated 26th February 1997)
This area comprises the historic core of the Crossness Sewage Treatment Works on the south bank of the River Thames. It is centred on the Grade I listed Beam Engine House, which is grouped with contemporary workshop buildings and slightly later engine houses. Behind these lies the large, brick-vaulted storage tank. The grass top to the tank and the mature trees add greatly to the setting of the buildings.
Foots Cray (Designated 29th April 1998)
The area centres on the historic core of Foots Cray Village, which lies on the London to Maidstone road. Now a suburban shopping area, the High Street retains a number of historic buildings, set among later developments, mostly of small scale. Rectory Lane retains its domestic character and merges into open countryside at Foots Cray Meadows.
Erith Road, Belvedere (Designated 14th February 2004)
This compact cluster of spacious homes reminds us just how grand British suburbs might well have looked had the Edwardians noble hopes not been overwhelmed by the First World War and subsequent periods of austerity. Early and well-executed examples of ribbon development along a ridge-top road, still busy with traffic, complement a generously proportioned technical institute building to the east. That 1906 building, listed in its own right, was converted into flats early in the 21st Century; elegant façade details reflect the priority given to public education as the 20th Century unfolded. Joinery crafted to high standards adds grace and grandeur to the main elevations of the villas, which display measured individualism within a coherent pattern. Steeply-pitched gables emphasise the height of these domestic buildings erected by local builders and consciously placed to offer residents panoramic views across the lower Thames Valley. It could be argued with some force that homes of this style have earned lasting respect and represent a highpoint in the story of English domestic architecture. Mature trees and historic boundary walls, some with practical, period railings, add further visual interest to the group as viewed from Erith Road or Upper Holly Hill Road.